US wheelchair racer wins an astonishing seventh consecutive Chicago Marathon
Tatyana McFadden set a new course record as she won the Chicago Marathon for a seventh time
USA’s Tatyana McFadden has been voted the Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ for October after notching up a phenomenal seventh consecutive Chicago Marathon to close the gap at the top of the Marathon Majors World Series.
The multiple-Paralympic and world champion received 45 per cent of the public votes and was closely followed by compatriot and quad wheelchair tennis player David Wagner (36 per cent). Brazilian sitting volleyball player Gilberto da Silva was also shortlisted.
The nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from the continent.
The 2017 Americas Athlete of the Month winners so far are:
• January – Gustavo Fernandez, Argentina, wheelchair tennis
• February – Alexander Cataldo, Chile, wheelchair tennis
• March – Maria Paula Barrera, Colombia, Para swimming
• April – Adam Dixon, Canada, Para ice hockey
• May – Bruna Costa Alexandre, Brazil, table tennis
• June – Brent Lakatos, Canada, Para athletics
• July – Mauricio Valencia, Colombia, Para athletics
• August – Diego Meneses, Colombia, Para athletics
• September – Stefan Daniel, Canada, triathlon
• October – Tatyana McFadden, USA, Para athletics
Chicago Marathon: The inside track
Seventh heaven for Tatyana McFadden in Chicago
Tatyana McFadden on her greatest comeback
Swiss pair speed to victory in New York